Anne Bradstreet. Seriously her work is amazing! She is the first published Author in the American colonies, an inspirational poet, and a woman! In that time period that is very rare indeed!Any way I have been thinking about the scripture Jacob 2:18 "But before ye seek for riches, seek ye the Kingdom of God." Anne Bradstreet knew this well, and she understood life was not about your temporal possesions. She says it beautifully in a poem she wrote right after her house burned down entitled, "Upon the Burning of Our House, July 10 1666"
"And when I could no longer look,
I blest his grace that gave and took,
That laid my goods now in the dust.
Yea, so it was, and so 'twas just.
It was his own; it was not mine.
Far be it that I should repine."
She rejects the anger and grief that this worldly tragedy has caused her and instead looks toward God and the assurance of heaven as consolation. I think its beautiful.
Then her poem to her husband... It gives me goosebumps and makes me want to cry ha ha
"And when I could no longer look,
I blest his grace that gave and took,
That laid my goods now in the dust.
Yea, so it was, and so 'twas just.
It was his own; it was not mine.
Far be it that I should repine."
She rejects the anger and grief that this worldly tragedy has caused her and instead looks toward God and the assurance of heaven as consolation. I think its beautiful.
Then her poem to her husband... It gives me goosebumps and makes me want to cry ha ha
- If ever two were one, then surely we.
- If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
- If ever wife was happy in a man,
- Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
- I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
- Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
- My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
- Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.
- Thy love is such I can no way repay.
- The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
- Then while we live, in love let's so persever
- That when we live no more, we may live ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment