Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How to cure insomnia...

I think if my blog was categorized by subject the main ones would be: the gospel, Andrew, children, my family, and Insomnia. How weird is that? (Well only the insomnia part is weird) It has such a predominant part in my life that I blog about it. Usually when its plaguing me. Aka right now.

Recently I have been thinking a lot about trial, death, and the Plan of Salvation. My friends/roommates Heather and Josie had a good friend pass away this week. His name was Nigel Olsen and he was stationed in Afghanistan with the Marines. He died when an IED accidentally went off. Its been hard on them and I have done my best to comfort them... in reality all I could really do is listen. Saturday night Nigel's parents flew home. A lot of people from their ward got together and lit the flags (with flashlights) the lined the streets from the church building to their home. We were standing by flags right outside their home. When his parents got out of the car all you could hear was his mother sobbing. It was by far one of the worst sounds I have ever heard in my life. She choked out a heartfelt thank you and they went inside. I had personally never met Nigel, nor have I ever met his parents but in that moment my heart broke. We went home and as usual read our scriptures. As I was laying in my bed trying to sleep my mind wandered as it usually does. I could still hear her crying. I realized that, although I do not have children yet, losing a child would be the hardest thing I think a person can possibly go through.

After thinking that I started wondering how do people get through such moments with out the knowledge of our Heavenly Father and Savior's love? How can one pick themselves up and go one with out knowing and understanding the Plan of Salvation? I know our Father in Heaven does not test us beyond our capabilities and that through him we can truly overcome ANY trial thrown at us. We will be better because of them and life will be all the more sweeter once we conquer our "demons". We are in this mortal life for such a short time to gain our mortal bodies, to make covenants, to obey the commandments, and to endure to the end. We are given so many blessings. Our mortal life is but a passing moment in our eternities. We will have everlasting joy. We will be with our families forever. Love will never end. All we have to do is believe and trust him- not only through words but actions as well. I am grateful to know this will not be the last time She gets to see her son. She will hold him again. My heart aches for people who do not have that knowledge and comfort and I pray that some time soon they are given the opportunity to know- to feel- it for themselves.

I read this talk earlier today and it gave me so much peace. I hope you all enjoy it as well.

Clearly this blog had little to do with the title... but this is what I do when insomnia plagues me. I think and then I go to lds.org to help me understand all of these thoughts. Ha ha maybe my insomnia is a blessing in disguise :) Love you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate when I can't sleep! It's the worst feeling. Especially when you know you have a lot going on the next day and need to get a good night's rest! One thing that works for me is taking a really hot bath. Maybe you don't want to do that in an apartment because you don't know who's been in the bath, but maybe a shower would word too. Hope you can sleep better soon :) Good job reading all that you do though. That's awesome! And definitely a blessing in disguise!